This course will give you the knowledge and understanding of how and why psychodynamics can play a central role in coaching. It will deepen your awareness around the unconscious, and how understanding this can help you be a more effective coach.
18 CCEs will be awarded on completion of the course; 9 in core competency and 9 in Resource Development
Before coaching there was psychoanalysis. Freud, and those who cam after him, discovered and developed a ground-breaking way of approaching our minds and understanding why we think and behave the way we do. Over time these theories and concepts have tended to be overlooked in favour of our more fashionable ideas. There is so much knowledge here that is going unused, it's time to bring Freud back!
Psychodynamics includes a whole body of research and thought that is essential learning for coaches. Our unconscious underpins so much of our thinking and behaving that it is a goldmine of knowledge for coaching. This course will give you the knowledge and understanding of how and why psychodynamics can play a central role in coaching. It will deepen you awareness around the unconscious, and how understanding this can help you be a more effective coach.
- Module 1 : How psychodynamic theory can support our coaching
Including an outline of psychodynamic theory and concepts, including why looking at the unconscious is important for coaches
- Module 2: The main players in the psychoanalytic movement
An Overview of the psychoanalytic movement, the key figures and their theories.
- Module 3: Key psychoanalytic theories and how they apply to coaching
In particular Freud and Jung, and how their theories and discoveries led to the creation of many concepts and tools we use today
- Module 4: Common defence mechanisms and how they arise in coaching
How do we identify a defence mechanism and what do we do once we have seen it?
- Module 5: Transference and Countertransference
What these terms really mean and how they play out in the coaching relationship
- Module 6: Putting this all together
Review of everything we have covered and exploring how and when to use these skills. When should we use a psychodynamic approach? When and what should we be taking it to supervision?
There will be much discussion and reflection within the course of how and when these concepts and theories can be applied in coaching.
The course will be delivered by Julia Rogers. Julia has been studying and researching psychodynamic theory for over 25 years and has a passion for it's application in coaching. Julia believes that a thorough appreciation of unconscious process enables coaches to communicate at a deeper degree with their clients, moving from a transactional to a transformational level, with a real sustainable change.
The next course will start on Thursday 15th September. Dates for these sessions are:
Module 1 | September 15th
Module 2 | September 29th
Module 3 | October 13th
Module 4 | October 27th
Module 5 | November 10th
Module 6 | November 24th
06:30 pm - 10:30 pm
If you want to stand out from the crowd with an evidence based approach to your coaching and help your clients get deeper transformations by:
- Understanding How the brain works and how this relates to coaching
- Building your programs and coaching sessions based on the principles of neuroplasticity
- Supporting your clients to change their habits and integrate new habits into their routine
- Being confident to challenge your clients thinking and thinking styles
- Tapping into your intuition and understanding intuitive bias
- Maximising your cognitive function using neuroscience
- Using the SCARF model to help your clients identify threats, rewards and take action
In this comprehensive course you will have the opportunity to discuss core concepts, look at scenario based examples and put it all into practice.
Dates - January 2023 (Tuesdays)
In this course you will:
- Learn how to use needs, values and strengths to coach
- Use positive psychology practices such as gratitude and resilience to coach clients
- Support clients to develop their own wellbeing using positive psychology practices
- Develop you coaching to integrate positive psychology tools
Friday 30th September 10-4pm, Friday 14th October 10-4pm BST Virtual
£497 + VAT
Looking for more information?
Download our course brochure for a further breakdown and overview of our best in class, accredited (ICF, AC) training programmes